Sunday, March 29, 2026

Greetings from the Blackstone Heritage Corridor

On Sunday I had coffee and grilled cheese with my friend Elizabeth, whom I haven't seen in person since the late 1990s! We met at a restaurant in Whitinsville in a former mill, with a waterfall behind it and several parks nearby. She suggested that we might like to see River Bend Farm, so we went there after we ate, and it has a nice local history museum as well as a towpath between the canal and river that reminded me a bit of Great Falls. 

It was gorgeous weather, so we also went to nearby Purgatory Chasm, which we last visited with Paul's brother, also in the late '90s. There were warning signs everywhere that the chasm was closed because of ice on the rocks, which we could see from the overlooks, though a lot of visitors were not obeying the signs. We settled for walking to the Slanted Rock and the rock formations we could see from the bridges above.

2026-03-29 13.46.27

2026-03-29 13.45.22

2026-03-29 13.40.26

2026-03-29 13.12.15

2026-03-29 13.00.59

2026-03-29 13.20.10

2026-03-29 12.30.01 

We stopped at Shaw's on the way home for food for the week and I spent the late afternoon doing various chores while watching the end of the Orioles victory, UConn's last-moment win over Duke, and the start of the Mariners game. We also watched the start of The Forsyte Saga, and I have to admit that I don't like it better than The Forsytes despite liking some of the actors; it's so hard to warm to any of the characters, even the women.

No comments: