Saturday, May 08, 2004

Drifting In Empty Seas For All My Days Remaining

I? Have had a shitty day. Despite the best efforts of to liven it up, which she did spectacularly for a couple of hours with sushi and "Can we watch the M&C DVD extras?"

Whatever was wrong with the coolant system in the station wagon has apparently damaged the engine. The quotes are all in the four digits to repair, higher to replace. Naturally replacing the whole damn car, which I think makes the most sense, would cost the most of all.

My husband told the car place to go ahead and repair, then called me to tell me how much they were estimating the cost. I screamed at him for not calling me first, told him to call them back and tell them to wait so we could at least figure out how much more it would be to replace the engine and have a discussion about possibly thinking about looking at cars. So right now it is not being fixed, we have one car and two sports carpools tomorrow...

I don't want to think about this. Would rather think about, um...how all of us had to drive up for my older son's baseball practice, having only one car and nothing in the house for dinner and no way to get dinner without a second vehicle...how those of us not practicing baseball went out for Indian food (very good, but not cheap, and slooow service considering we had son #2 with us), and the sky opened up and we had to race to get older son from the practice as he cowered in the coach's car with other kids waiting to be picked up...how we rushed back, not stopping in pouring rain to get things we needed like milk, and got home to two hours of blackout and very cranky kids as a result...

So what I accomplished today that was good was eating lots of good food, which is the last thing my waistline or any other part needs...

You know, I think I am just going to forget today and worry tomorrow about how to pay for the effing car, get the kids to their effing sports, get my weight back to 110, etc.

No comments: