Tuesday, July 25, 2023

Greetings from Folklore

On Monday we had much-needed rain, quite hard at times -- we couldn't see the lake from our living room window -- though it was only drizzle when we walked to the beach and since we had a lot of chores left over from the weekend, it was all fine. And we watched Puss In Boots: The Last Wish, which was cute, and Miracle Workers, which was absolute crack. But what I want to talk about is Taylor Swift. If you're a Swiftie, you should stop reading this because either you know it already or you don't want to be spoiled before you see her in California (I assume there will be changes to the show before she takes it to Europe) and if you're not a Swiftie you should stop reading it because you won't be interested!

As I've said elsewhere, we parked mid-morning in one of the lots closer to T-Mobile Park before the Mariners-Blue Jays crowds arrived, and spent much of the day along the waterfront surrounded by a mix of Swifties and baseball fans. We arrived at Lumen Field by way of Pioneer Square, where we'd had Mod Pizza and gelato and traded friendship bracelets with people in a wide variety of Eras outfits. We traded some more in line waiting to get inside the stadium, which took a while but was better organized than the Mariners were a week earlier. It was very warm and sunny, so we were in no rush to get to our seats and got into the immense merch line which wrapped around the 300 level and gave us a nice view of the mountain. I didn't end up buying anything -- I was happy to keep bracelets as souvenirs.

I have only two complaints about the evening and one is that they ran out of vegan hot dogs, leaving very few choices for vegans who didn't want Pizza Hut. We heard Gracie Abrams while trying to track down the Tex-Mex place, whose lines were crazy, so I ended up having a Bavarian pretzel with cheese dip for dinner. Then we went to our seats to hear Haim, who are always great -- they did "Want You Back" and "Gasoline" -- wearing sunglasses because the sun was still over the stadium in a blindingly bright sky. It finally started to drop during the set change, when a "Bejeweled" interview with both Haim and Taylor was showing, and finally the Midnights clock appeared a few minutes earlier than we expected, before 8 p.m.

I should probably insert my history as a Taylor fan here. I've always been older than her main demographic and my kids weren't interested in her, so I was casually acquainted with her radio hits from her late country era and impressed enough to have bought all her albums from Red forward, but I wouldn't have said I was invested in her career and I knew little about her life (I read about who she was dating because I looked at news about Jake Gyllenhaal and Tom Hiddleston, not because I looked at news about her). Because potentially closeted celebrities and how they navigate the media are topics that interest me, I was aware of the rumors about her and Karlie Kloss and I occasionally glanced at the news stories, but I didn't go digging on Twitter for gossip.

I paid no serious attention to Taylor until Folklore, which blew me away -- specifically "The Last Great American Dynasty" which engages with so many songwriting traditions while at the same time making me question her insistence that this was her first non-autobiographical album because that song is at least as much about her as it is about Rebekah Harkness. It made me go back and listen to Reputation and Lover again -- no one will ever convince me that the latter wasn't intended as a coming-out album, and sorry but no way is "End Game" about Joe Alwyn, who didn't have big reputation and was never going to be a big conversation for anyone but her most die-hard fans, in fact I don't think that song is about a man at all any more than "Gorgeous" is. Okay, I'm out now as a Gaylor but I want to make clear that I don't actually care about Taylor Swift's personal life; it's the queer aesthetic in her songs and the coded messages that interest me. You could hear a hairpin drop, indeed.

So, back to the concert. Taylor said that she wrote in her diary after her last visit during the Reputation tour that Seattle was the best crowd she had ever played for, then she played the crowd, pointing at sections to shout and wave for her, before she launched into "The Man" (another coded song). She started with songs from Lover -- there were evangelical protestors outside the stadium while we were in line, announcing on a megaphone that we were all going to hell (Swifties gave them friendship bracelets) -- and everyone inside screamed "shade never made anybody less gay" loudly enough for them to hear. Insanely, she played (and danced, and marched all over the stage) 45 songs, supposedly for an all-time record crowd for Lumen Field of over 72,000 people, and the energy level was incredible, even higher than when I saw Paul McCartney, which was not a performance experience I had believed could be equaled.

All the Fearless songs were happy, delightful singalongs, some of the first songs I ever heard by Taylor so they all have many years of happy associations. She launched Evermore by bringing Haim back to perform "No Body, No Crime" with her, which nobody knew was going to happen so it was enormously enjoyable, and the stage visuals for the whole album are just stunning -- "Willow" in particular, a pagan fire festival that makes me think of Robin of Sherwood. I really loved seeing the Evermore and Folklore deep woods in the PNW, which Taylor said probably influenced the fantasy world she dreamed up during the pandemic for those albums (she said she wanted to imagine a life where she wasn't a lonely Millennial covered in cat hair). The Folklore cabin looked very much like the one from the Grammys and she performed both within and without, though of course my favorite number wasn't part of the teenage love story -- it was Taylor meeting and dancing with Rebekah Harkness while the screen shifted from the woods to the windswept coast.

Reputation also had fantastic onstage visuals (including Taylor's snake costume) and it was really fun to sing "Look What You Made Me Do" along with a huge crowd. We also got some (alleged) Kanye shade in "This is Why We Can't Have Nice Things" -- one of Taylor's surprise acoustic songs, which she said she'd never played that way before...there was a LOT of cackling after the line about forgiveness. (And yes, I know the theory that "Vigilante Shit" is about Taylor being Team Kim in the Kardashian-West divorce.) That wasn't a song I was really hoping for as one of the surprises (I reeeallly wanted "Exile" and am jealous the next night's crowd, which son's girlfriend was among, got "Message In a Bottle"), but I appreciate her wanting to explore her entire catalogue in different ways, and we also got "Everything Has Changed" from Red without Ed Sheeran, which she seemed concerned might upset people ("There’s not a special guest!") but I think she does the song fine without him.

Of anything in her pre-Folklore era, "Long Live" is the song that resonates most for me. I readily admit that this is partly because of some fandom-related songvids set to it (this is a Star Trek song and an Avengers song for me, deal with it), but I think everyone has some middle school or high school experience they can connect to it whether it's theater camp or chess club. People around me were crying while they sang along and it's impossible not to be moved by that. That was the highlight of the show for me, even more than the confetti and fireworks during "Bejeweled" and "Karma" (after the super-fun 1989 singalong of huge pop hits and the more complicated, darker Midnights songs that start the set. I did enjoy the fireworks but the launchers made it impossible to see the band from our seats in Lumen Field's end zone, so although they sounded great, I have no sense of how many musicians were playing on any given song.

I'm sure I left out a bunch of things, but I've been writing this for two hours so I'll just mention them later if I think of them! We saved the tabs for our LED bracelets so they still flash purple when we take the tabs out -- apparently they're programmed to keep the last command from the stadium after changing color and pattern throughout the concert. It's with my friendship bracelets, a lovely souvenir. Bottom line, I feel SO lucky that I managed to get tickets with a minimum of screaming at the computer during the Ticketmaster disaster, and I'm so glad that my niece Madeleine, who's always been a much more serious Taylor fan, wanted to travel up here from L.A. to go to the concert with me!

  2023-07-22 20.42.20

2023-07-22 21.17.05

2023-07-22 20.13.50

2023-07-22 22.11.05

2023-07-22 20.40.38

2023-07-22 23.01.27

2023-07-22 22.50.53

2023-07-22 23.21.20

No comments: