Wednesday, May 08, 2024

Poem for Tuesday and Camlann Creatives

Breakfast in Bed 
By June Billings Safford 

The ninety-nine dollar quilt
we bought for thirty-six at Macy’s,
pie-shaped patches in pastel blues,
yellows, some white, spreads before
my field of vision like a cloth garden.
Gay colored pillows prop me up
against the bedroom wall.
At nine a.m. on a Saturday morning I might
be vacuuming, doing a wash, dusting.
But my husband’s bent on crippling me with benefits.
He’s in the kitchen below filling the menu
I wrote out on an envelope. Instead
of lying in bed with some crippling disease,
I’m studying the slope of the quilt, hungry
and waiting. Made more healthy by his indulgence
I listen. On the next level I hear water running,
cabinets opening and closing, dishes clanking.
Soon a perking coffee smell starts to ply me
with more evidence that breakfast is underway.

This second story bedroom has windows
that allow for barren tree-top viewing. And snow-patched
hills break the bird’s comforter sky from being all
I see. White muslin curtains collect in folds
at the window edges, another bargain I can point to.
I hear his caloric footsteps down the hall. He enters
holding the bed tray like an offering. Soon my nose
is just inches from sustenance and frivolity. A grapefruit
half topped by cool whip and a maraschino cherry, my
vitamins tucked in a whiskey glass. He leaves with
the assurance that scrambled eggs and coffee are next
on his benevolent schedule. How clever he is to ply me
with prizes just for having chosen him.

-------- 

I had a fairly quiet Tuesday morning -- a bunch of unexciting chores and paperwork -- but it was another gorgeous day, so then we took a walk and enjoyed the park and saw the big duckling family. Then my Voyager group watched "Life Line" -- which I had remembered as being one of the very good ones, and it was, Robert Picardo at his finest. Over dinner, we saw the very end of the Nationals beating the Orioles. 

Then we watched two movies. Unfrosted is absolutely hilarious; for everyone in it who's problematic, there's someone I love, and it would be worth watching just for Amy Schumer's Marjorie Merriweather Post and for Jon Hamm. Now we're watching The Idea of You and I'm a bit ashamed but Anne Hathaway is really great in it and Fake Harry Styles is okay. Reenactors at Camlann demonstrating Medieval crafts:

2024-05-05 13.33.50

2024-05-05 14.07.17

2024-05-05 14.22.27

2024-05-05 14.58.30

2024-05-05 14.19.05

2024-05-05 14.31.30

2024-05-05 14.55.27

No comments: