Thursday, May 16, 2024

Poem for Wednesday and Alki Tidepools

I Wake and Feel the Fell of Dark, Not Day 
By Gerard Manley Hopkins 

I wake and feel the fell of dark, not day.
What hours, O what black hours we have spent
This night! what sights you, heart, saw; ways you went!
And more must, in yet longer light's delay.
   With witness I speak this. But where I say
Hours I mean years, mean life. And my lament
Is cries countless, cries like dead letters sent
To dearest him that lives alas! away.

   I am gall, I am heartburn. God's most deep decree
Bitter would have me taste: my taste was me;
Bones built in me, flesh filled, blood brimmed the curse.
   Selfyeast of spirit a dull dough sours. I see
The lost are like this, and their scourge to be
As I am mine, their sweating selves; but worse.

-------- 

I spent much of Wednesday on Google Meet, first with my high school friends, though that started late because one of the updates either my phone or computer got last week switched my Google Meet camera settings to use the phone as the default and I had to figure out how to turn that off so I could use my laptop's built-in webcam. We got Adam and Haley to come say hi since Hildy and I were on the call, and Kay's son came on to chat later with me, so that was a lot of fun. Then later I watched the last two episodes of Hawkeye with Kristen, which was also a lot of fun! 

We took an afternoon walk to the park, where lots of people were at the beach enjoying the gorgeous weather, and out on the dock, where the goslings were hiding but a couple of families of ducklings were hanging out in the reeds. We watched the Masked Singer semifinals; I would have kept the Clock and cut the Gumball, but I think Goldfish should win either way. Now we're watching Dark Matter, which is great so far; I'm not sure the sci-fi makes sense, but this is really a show about characters and relationships, particularly regrets. Things we saw in and around Alki tidepools:

2024-05-11 14.08.40

2024-05-11 14.50.29

2024-05-11 15.10.30

2024-05-11 14.27.25

2024-05-11 14.37.48

2024-05-11 14.03.39

2024-05-11 15.09.02A

No comments: