Thursday, August 15, 2024

Poem for Wednesday and Washington State History

Prehistory 
By Sara Ryan 

I wanted to be an archaeologist
until my mother told me my office

would be in the basement of a museum
and my lungs would fill with dust.

Still, I learned the names of dinosaurs
and identified the difference between

a shoulder blade and a pelvis in middle
school science. I dug into the fetal pig’s

cold belly while a boy pulled my hair.
I bleached the skull of a mouse that I found

in the woods. I remember when I found a dead
spider perched on its head like a crown. When

I promised my mother I wouldn’t dig up bones
for a living, I only meant in deserts and far away
forests. I only meant to not dig up what others
bothered burying. I only meant the bones

that didn't belong to me. 

-------- 

I had a nice Wednesday mostly on the computer -- chatting with my high school friends in the morning, taking a break for lunch, then watching the first half of the first Deadpool movie with Kristen (who had not seen it before) and Laurie (who had). The weather remained gorgeous, though warmer than the previous days, so there were more people at the beach and more geese standing on people's boats. I repotted my Thai basil, but I can't tell whether the little seedlings are overcrowded in the new pots or have strong enough roots. 

After the Orioles game (a win over the Nats after yesterday) and the very end of the Mariners game (which we turned on just in time to see them give up three runs to Detroit and lose, ugh), we watched this week's Time Bandits. Now we're watching the very violent Land of Bad, which has two Hemsworth brothers in the military but only Russell Crowe's snark is making it enjoyable. At the Washington State Historical Society, Seattle from geologic pre-history through the Clovis and migration eras to the rise of logging, salmon fishing, and Boeing:

2024-08-10 12.31.40

2024-08-10 12.36.01

2024-08-10 12.40.01

2024-08-10 12.40.48

2024-08-10 12.43.28

2024-08-10 12.44.05

2024-08-10 12.51.14

2024-08-10 12.53.28

No comments: