Friday, April 16, 2021

Poem for Friday and Locust Grove

The Good-Morrow
By John Donne

I wonder by my troth, what thou and I
Did, till we loved? Were we not wean'd till then?
But suck'd on country pleasures, childishly?
Or snorted we in the Seven Sleepers' den?
'Twas so; but this, all pleasures fancies be;
If ever any beauty I did see,
Which I desired, and got, 'twas but a dream of thee.
 
And now good-morrow to our waking souls,
Which watch not one another out of fear;
For love all love of other sights controls,
And makes one little room an everywhere.
Let sea-discoverers to new worlds have gone;
Let maps to other, worlds on worlds have shown;
Let us possess one world; each hath one, and is one.
 
My face in thine eye, thine in mine appears,
And true plain hearts do in the faces rest;
Where can we find two better hemispheres
Without sharp north, without declining west?
Whatever dies, was not mix'd equally;
If our two loves be one, or thou and I
Love so alike that none can slacken, none can die.

-------- 

Thursday was a ridiculously nice day, so much so that I snuck out at lunchtime to do a Pokemon raid and went for a walk at Locust Grove, which has a carpet of bluebells near the nature center and several frogs in the tadpole pond and the new waterfall fountain out front. It was so pretty that I convinced Paul to go take a walk there in the late afternoon, too, to listen to the spring peepers and see the dogwood and redbuds along the woods path. 

DSCN7404

2021-04-15 14.46.56A

2021-04-15 17.35.28A

DSCN7411

DSCN7401

2021-04-15 14.55.37

2021-04-15 14.44.29 

 I gave a neighbor's son a bunch of big plastic toys that had to be hosed down first, including an easel, so I spent lots of time outside, which was lovely. Plus I chatted with friends after dinner (huzzah for vegan fish sticks) while we had the Nationals-Diamondbacks game on mute, which was a good thing because after a couple of good early innings, it was a big disaster for the Nats. And Colbert's a rerun, so I'm watching the end of this phase of the MCU and already miss it! 

 

No comments: