Thursday, July 07, 2022

Poem for Thursday and Solomons Waterside

A Life On The Ocean Wave
By Epes Sargent

A life on the ocean wave,
A home on the rolling deep,
Where the scattered waters rave,
And the winds their revels keep!
Like an eagle caged, I pine
On this dull, unchanging shore:
Oh! give me the flashing brine,
The spray and the tempest's roar!

Once more on the deck I stand
Of my own swift-gliding craft:
Set sail! farewell to the land!
The gale follows fair abaft.
We shoot through the sparkling foam
Like an ocean-bird set free; -
Like the ocean-bird, our home
We'll find far out on the sea.

The land is no longer in view,
The clouds have begun to frown;
But with a stout vessel and crew,
We'll say, Let the storm come down!
And the song of our hearts shall be,
While the winds and the waters rave,
A home on the rolling sea!
A life on the ocean wave!

-------- 

I spent Wednesday doing work and chores that was reasonably enjoyable to me but would probably bore anyone else. It was again extremely hot, not a day I felt like being outdoors much though we took a walk in the late afternoon, then dropped the van off to be serviced. I talked to my high school friends for nearly two hours at lunchtime, so that was, as always, a delight! 

We watched this week's Ms. Marvel, which I loved -- lots of female bonding, lovely acting, and it reminded me of The Devil's Arithmetic, the Kirsten Dunst-Louise Fletcher movie in which a girl who doesn't know her Jewish family's history is sent back in time to relive the Holocaust. Here are some photos from the beach at Flag Ponds Park in view of Calvert Cliffs and the Solomons boardwalk: 

DSCN6921

2022-07-02 16.39.43

DSCN6937A

2022-07-02 16.53.42

DSCN6925A

2022-07-02 17.27.54

DSCN6920

No comments: