Wednesday, February 08, 2023

Poem for Wednesday and Cabin John Winter Flowers

Wild Horses Drink from the River of History
By Lois Roma-Deeley

Hours before dark, I follow the stony path
from the parking lot to the river bank.
Along the shore I look for crushed branches and trampled grass,
the clearing where wild horses are said to appear.
Then, I hide behind a mesquite tree, hold my breath.
I want to know their secrets.

Finally the mares and foals emerge from the woods
and stand, ankle deep, among the dense reeds.
At once the entire herd bows their heads,
laps the cool water, takes the river into themselves.

If I were brave, if I’d forget
to move past the brokenness of my own family,
I’d approach these unclaimed, unnamed creatures.
I’d stroke their brown manes,
feed them sugar apples and snow peas.
We’d share one fearless story.

Now the Mustangs dig their feet under the tall grass.
I step forward, snap a few pictures,
as if the camera could capture
when my unsettled heart and theirs became one.
Overhead, the whir of helicopter blades
cuts through a questioning sky.

Suddenly there’s a thousand echoes,
galloping hooves ringing over badlands.
I turn and look back to the river
which flows on, relentlessly, carrying with it
every story of who or what has come and gone.

And the sun sets, dropping behind the mountain,
leaving a blue ridge, a dimming thread of gold.
I get into my car, head up switchbacks
that lead me to the open highway and down towards the city
where lights shimmer like the past of distant stars.

--------

We had nice weather on Tuesday -- overcast but not too cold -- so the highlight of my day was walking in the park and discovering that the crocuses were starting to open, plus the big field of snowdrops behind the tracks is starting to bloom and there are more lenten roses. Otherwise we had more potential basement contractors and I did some scanning and eBaying. Here's the park: 

2023-02-07 16.28.35

2023-02-07 16.30.33

2023-02-07 16.35.25

2023-02-07 16.18.43

2023-02-06 17.00.20

2023-01-30 16.38.29

2023-02-04 15.51.29 

My Voyager group watched the always delightful "Bride of Chaotica" -- the cast having fun for a change! -- then Paul and I watched Cyrano which I can't believe no one told me to watch months ago -- Dinklage is wonderful and the visuals are gorgeous; some of the songs are uneven and I think making Roxane likeable is always a problem, but the war scene is really moving.

No comments: