Saturday, April 30, 2022

Poem for Saturday and Breezy Hill Barnyard

Walls
By Constantine P. Cavafy
Translated by Edmund Keeley and Philip Sherrard

Without consideration, without pity, without shame
they have built great and high walls around me.

And now I sit here and despair.
I think of nothing else: this fate gnaws at my mind;

for I had many things to do outside.
Ah why did I not pay attention when they were building the walls.

But I never heard any noise or sound of builders.
Imperceptibly they shut me from the outside world.

-------- 

Most of my Friday was unexciting -- got some work and chores done, spotted a lot of birds and squirrels on the deck, took a walk in the afternoon and enjoyed the azaleas. We had dinner with my parents, then came home and binged the entirety of Heartstopper, which was as joyous as every single person had told me it was -- a world where high school LGBTQ kids triumph over their bullies and inner fears both, and all parents and teachers (and ostensibly public figures) are loving and supportive. 

Between this and OFMD, I would say it's been a great month for gay television, except that today the CW canceled both Batwoman (which I haven't watched this season) and Legends of Tomorrow (which I have absolutely loved, and will greatly miss) -- that's a lot of queer representation gone, and major female characters, while the out-of-ideas Flash and Superman and Lois get to stay. Hopefully Heartstopper will get a second season. Last weekend we met these residents of Breezy Hill Farm: 

DSCN1083

DSCN1122

DSCN1086

2022-04-24 14.26.59

DSCN1119A

DSCN1100

DSCN1109

No comments: