Wednesday, April 20, 2022

Poem for Wednesday and Washingtonian Goslings

Wild Geese
By Celia Thaxter

The wind blows, the sun shines, the birds sing loud,
The blue, blue sky is flecked with fleecy dappled cloud,
Over earth's rejoicing fields the children dance and sing,
And the frogs pipe in chorus, "It is spring! It is spring!"

The grass comes, the flower laughs where lately lay the snow,
O'er the breezy hill-top hoarsely calls the crow,
By the flowing river the alder catkins swing,
And the sweet song-sparrow cries, "Spring! It is spring!"

Hark, what a clamor goes winging through the sky!
Look, children! Listen to the sound so wild and high!
Like a peal of broken bells, -- kling, klang, kling, --
Far and high the wild geese cry, "Spring! It is spring!"

Bear the winter off with you, O wild geese dear!
Carry all the cold away, far away from here;
Chase the snow into the north, O strong of heart and wing,
While we share the robin's rapture, crying, "Spring! It is spring!"

-------- 

The early part of my Tuesday was pretty quiet -- I had a bunch of chores, plus I got a bunch of charms from an Etsy seller so I worked on some jewelry, and I scanned one last set of ancestry papers I discovered at my in-laws' last weekend with the addresses of current relatives in Sweden. It was surprisingly chilly when we walked in the afternoon and there's a freeze warning for part of the county tonight, urgh. In honor of the day, we had tacos for dinner. 

My Voyager group watched "Worst Case Scenario" -- the one where the crew writes Maquis insurrection fanfic, which I love -- then and I watched All the Old Knives on Amazon Prime, which got mixed reviews but I thought it was quite good, very well cast and acted, great chemistry between Pine and Newton, wrongly marketed as an action thriller when it's an intense dialogue-heavy drama. Here are the goslings we saw at Washingtonian Lake on Saturday: 

2022-04-16 17.59.10A

2022-04-16 17.56.57

2022-04-16 17.58.09A

2022-04-16 17.56.17A

2022-04-16 17.59.14

2022-04-16 17.57.07

2022-04-16 18.03.34

No comments: