Saturday, September 03, 2022

Poem for Saturday and Canal Wildlife

When winter first begins to bite
By J.R.R. Tolkien

When winter first begins to bite
and stones crack in the frosty night,
when pools are black and trees are bare,
'tis evil in the Wild to fare. 

-------- 

Friday was a warm, sunny start to Labor Day weekend and Paul only had to work a half day, so I did a bunch of chores in the morning including packing up some things to be shipped, then we ate sandwiches, went to the post office to mail those packages, and went to the C&O Canal to see what animals were around. The water was low in both the canal and river, but we still saw plenty of frogs, several herons, some turtles, and a few ducks, plus a lot of wildflowers. Then we had dinner with my parents.

DSCN0716

DSCN0676

DSCN0612

DSCN0694

DSCN0641

DSCN0652A

2022-09-02 14.52.27

We just watched the first two episodes of The Lord of the Rings: The Rings of Power (which older son got to see on the big screen two days ago with other Seattle Amazon employees). I really enjoyed it -- I haven't read any of the relevant appendices or HOME materials in so long that I don't remember what I ever knew about Galadriel's backstory, and it's stunning to look at and has several actors I like. Did they spend too much money making it? Probably, but the people who decided to hate it before it aired piss me off. 


No comments: