Saturday, October 08, 2022

Poem for Saturday and Dog Visiting

I'm Learning Nothing This Night
By Reginald Dwayne Betts

The magazine on my lap talks
about milk. Tells me that in America,
every farmer lost money on
every cow, every day of every month
of the year. Imagine that? To wake
up and know you’re digging yourself
deeper into a hole you can’t see
out of, even as your hands are wet
with what feeds you. That’s how this
thing is, holding on & losing a little each
moment. I’m whispering an invented
history to myself tonight—because
letting go is the art of living fully
in the world your body creates
when you sleep. Say a prayer for
the insomniacs. They hunger &
demand the impossible. Pray for
the farmers, hands deep in loam—
body’s weight believing what
the mind knows is ruin, they too
want the impossible, so accustomed
to the earth responding when they call.

-------- 

My Friday was uneventful apart from selling some things on Facebook Marketplace and doing a pile of chores in the house, all with the baseball post-season on TV in the background. We had dinner with my parents after delays for traveling and covid concerns. Then we came home and watched this week's Rings of Power, which wasn't as powerful as last week's but had some great moments, and this week's Andor, which had nice character moments but felt a suspended leading up to what's sure to be an action episode. 

And then we watched Werewolf By Night, which I expected to be more of a parody and therefore funnier, but it's pretty straight old-fashioned horror movie, with some excellent performances and superb cinematography but straight old-fashioned horror isn't really my thing. I'm told that the characters could recur with Moon Night so at least now I know them. I have had requests for more photos of Pepper, so here she is at home, on walks, seeking attention at meals, and just generally being adorable: 

2022-09-25 19.48.18

2022-09-22 12.13.12

DSCN0849

2022-09-26 12.33.08

DSCN0899A

2022-09-22 17.35.51A

2022-09-22 20.08.38

2022-09-25 15.59.10

No comments: