Thursday, March 10, 2022

Poem for Thursday and Birthday Party

Celebration
By Denise Levertov

Brilliant, this day – a young virtuoso of a day.
Morning shadow cut by sharpest scissors,
deft hands. And every prodigy of green –
whether it's ferns or lichens or needles
or impatient points of buds on spindly bushes –
greener than ever before. And the way the conifers
hold new cones to the light for the blessing,
a festive right, and sing the oceanic chant the wind
transcribes for them!
A day that shines in the cold
like a first-prize brass band swinging along
the street
of a coal-dusty village, wholly at odds
with the claims of reasonable gloom.

-------- 

Wednesday was a big birthday for my mother, so most of the excitement of my day was in the evening, particularly since it rained all afternoon. I scanned some of my favorite letters in the world, which in retrospect I can't believe I never scanned before in case the house burned down, from someone I was close to in college and a good friend from KMAS days. 

Then we picked up dinner from The Cheesecake Factory and went to my parents' house, where we had dinner, cheesecake (Godiva chocolate, white chocolate raspberry, and the festive birthday cake variety), and a Zoom call with the extended family, so relatives in New York, LA, Ann Arbor, and NOLA. Then we came home and watched the season premiere of Kung Fu

2022-03-09 18.36.51

2022-03-09 18.37.01

2022-03-09 18.36.19

2022-03-09 19.23.34

No comments: